Posted by Vinny in Tumblelog
on Apr 27th, 2007 | 0 comments
- Jasper: Everything is a mythical, cosmic battle between faith and chance.
- Miriam: Maybe I shouldn’t.
- Jasper: You already did. Take another one. Now cough. What do you taste?
- Miriam: Strawberries!
- Jasper: Strawberries? That’s what it’s called: Strawberry Cough!
- Kee: Wicked!
- Jasper: So. You’ve got faith over here, right? And chance over there.
- Miriam: Like yin and yang.
- Jasper: Sort of.
- Miriam: Or Shiva and Shakti.
- Jasper: Lennon and McCartney!
- Kee: [looking at pictures] Look, Julian and Theo.
- Jasper: Yeah, there you go! Julian and Theo met among a million protestors in a rally by chance. But they were there because of what they believed in in the first place, their faith. They wanted to change the world. And their faith kept them together. But by chance, Dylan was born.
- Kee: [picks up another photo] This is him?
- Jasper: Yeah, that’s him. He’d have been about your age. Magical child. Beautiful. Their faith put in praxis.
- Miriam: “Praxis”? What happened?
- Jasper: Chance. He was their sweet little dream. He had little hands, little legs, little feet. Little lungs. And in 2008, along came the flu pandemic. And then, by chance, he was gone. You see, Theo’s faith lost out to chance. So, why bother if life’s going to make its own choices?
Children of Men